May 19, 2012

To The East We Go part 1


I have to say that writing about my recent Nusa Tenggara trip has been one of the toughest thing to do. As soon as I arrived home, I was swamped with job-seeking activities, casual get-togethers, and swimming session. Those three packed my schedule tightly and dried me up during the month of April.

On early May, I received an email saying that my application was accepted, and I was expected to start working at the new office on the 15th. It was such a great news. I was so happy, I remember I couldn't stop smiling through out the day. 
It was after that, I found the time to write about the trip.
The journal I wrote might won't include details about itinerary and budget, so if you're interested on it, you could drop me an email.

So, without further ado, let's begin.


I’ve planned the Nusa Tenggara trip since mid 2011. Together with my pal, Boncu, we arranged this whole voyage carefully.  The initial idea was to visit West Nusa Tenggara, East Nusa Tenggara, and East Timor as well. But after examining the transportation methods, hotels, minimum required days for the trip and (of course) budgets, we decided to sort East Timor out.  Therefore, our journey will only cover West Nusa Tenggara and a tad of East Nusa Tenggara.

We double-checked airplanes ticket price, ferry schedule, rate of car rent, and accommodation before we finally settled on this route:  Jakarta – Denpasar – Mataram – Gili Trawangan – Mataram – Island hopping by boat tour to Gili Bola, Moyo Island, Satonda Island, Gili Laba, Komodo Island, Rinca Island – Labuan Bajo – Mataram – Denpasar – Jakarta.
The chosen date for the trip : March 21 – April 4, 2012.

Denpasar, Bali was picked as the first destination, primary because we  managed to get cheap promo round trip tickets. Besides, from Denpasar, you’ll have more transportation options to go to Mataram.

On December, one of my old comrade, Reo informed that he would like to join Boncu and I for the trip. I could not be happier. 

But as you grew older, you know that sometimes things just don’t work out they way you expect it.

I remember it was one fine afternoon in February, when I got a text from Boncu indicating that he might not be able to join the trip because he got to do preparation for a crucial exhibition.
I really couldn’t say anything. I wasn’t mad at all, but a fragment of disappointment just slipped in.
I made a phone call with him that night, and he said that there was still a slight possibility for him to join the holiday. Well I didn’t hope much. Experiences proved that too much expectation will only crush your feelings.

On early March, Boncu confirmed that he won’t be able to join the trip.
So it was gonna be me and Reo.

In the morning of the 21st, I caught a bus to the airport and flew to Denpasar.
The last time I went to Bali was 2 years ago, hence I was surprised to see how chaotic Ngurah Rai airport now. There seemed to be a major renovation going on. Area expansion and construction of new terminal buildings. It is a good thing, but I realize that the authorities need to work harder in handling passengers flow.

I stayed in a backpackers hotel called Bedbunkers. The location  is superb because it’s not in Kuta area (Kuta is too crowded for me) but it’s pretty close to Legian, Sunset Road and Seminyak.  I booked a bed in  15 mixed dorm room, and got a pretty good price for it.

In the afternoon I had dinner with my best friends in Warung Italia. I highly recommended this restaurant because the food is delicious, the price is very reasonable, the place is comfortable and it's perfectly located in the heart of Seminyak. 

The next morning, I got my self to the airport again. The place was crammed with people like there was some kind of exodus going on. Then I realized, that the next day, March 23 was Nyepi. 
Nyepi is the day of silence for Balinese Hindu community. On Nyepi, they close down the airport, therefore it was the last day to get your self out of the island.
During Nyepi, the Balinese Hindu is not permitted to do physical activity for 24 hours. They stay at home where they spend the time by praying and meditating in silence. They do not speak to eachother, they do not use electricity, they do not consume food nor water.
All day long, Pecalang (the custom and rituals police) carry out patrolling in the street to make sure that nobody is going to interrupt the celebration. Hence, for tourist who happen to be stuck in Bali throughout the event, they have no option but to stay inside the hotel.

I flew from Denpasar to Mataram (the capital of West Nusa Tenggara) with Wings Air. Wings Air is part of Lion Air that specializes in serving short-range flight and trip to smaller towns . They utilize the ATR 72-500 which I thought was much better than the regular Boeing 737-900ER the Lion Air uses owing to the ATR provides more space for the knee room (you don’t  want to get stiff do you?).

The flight from Denpasar to Mataram only took half an hour. The weather was sunny, but the minute the plane touched down at Lombok International Airport, a set of dark clouds allied, generating a heavy rain.
Now as a small plane, it was very unfortunate for us, because we can’t have a jetbridge like the big aircraft could have.  So what the airport staff did to prevent us from soaking wet, was handed an umbrella to each person, as soon  as they came out of the plane.

It was my first time in Lombok, and I was astonished with the look of Lombok International Airport building. The structure, which was opened on October 2011, has contemporary design that comprises a combination of glasses and metal accents; a typical look that resemblances the Terminal 3 Soekarno Hatta Jakarta and Sultan Hasanuddin Makassar. However, despite the first-rate design, I believe some of the services still need to be improved.

According to the trip plan, the airport was going to be the meeting point for Reo and I. His flight, a direct one from Jakarta, arrived 15 minutes prior of my schedule. But apparently due the heavy rain and the disorganized baggage collection system, it took me a little longer to get out of the airport. 

Reo had to wait outside for sometime, before I turned up with 45litre bag on my back, a tote bag on my left hand, and a tripod bag on my right.
He was relieved to see me. And I looked at him with amazement,  “How did you pack so lightly, man?”

(to be continued)

Terminal 3 of Soekarno Hatta Airport, Jakarta

The hostel where I stayed in

Kuta beach



The beautiful resort of Centra Taum, Seminyak

Italian dinner at Warung Italia

The plane that took me to Mataram
Pretty pretty


Welcome to Lombok International Airport

No comments:

Post a Comment