December 31, 2013

Visiting the Headquarter

Three years ago, while strolling down the corniche in the beautiful city of Alexandria during an office treat, I silently whispered a prayer, to be given chance to set my feet in Africa again. Never crossed in mind that the dream would eventually come true. 


***



It was a usual busy day at the office when I received news that I, along with tens of my colleagues, will be going to Nairobi to attend the office’s annual Science Week.

I pinched myself and realized this wasn’t a dream.

I was so excited to visit Nairobi, owing to the fact that it was going to be my first ‘real Africa’ experience. I reckon Egypt, the country I visited prior, was more Middle-Eastern-ish than Africa-ish, despite the fact that the country is located in the black continent. However, despite my enthusiasm, I know that it would still be a business trip. And like any other business trip, the agenda will be filled only with brain-draining meetings, that start early until the evening, with small chance to discover the city. Thus, I didn’t put much hope, nor set up itinerary. This time I would just let things flow. Besides, I was more than grateful to be able to visit the country without having to pay a single cent.

Afterwards, preps were made. I had secured my ticket and acquired my yellow fever vaccine. I did a little research about the weather in Nairobi. It came to me as a surprise the average temperature during the day is 20 degrees and would fall to 14 at night. Little did I know that Nairobi is in fact, situated 1795 m above sea level! Ha! No wonder the air is cold.

My flight to Nairobi is done through Dubai. Actually there are two other options, via Bangkok by Garuda Indonesia-Kenya Airways and via Doha by Qatar Airways. Yet, due to schedule suitability, I opted the one through Dubai.

We departed at mid night and will reach Dubai at daybreak.

As the plane reached a steady height, Grant –my travel mate- fell asleep at once. Even with my infamous ability to sleep (so) easily, that night I didn’t manage to snooze. Instead, I was jumpy and remained conscious, that I ended up enjoying hours of  in-flight entertainments.

We arrived in Dubai at 5.30 am.  Dubai airport gleams with lights.  It might be one of the busiest spot that never sleeps in Middle-East beside Mecca.

Since we still have couple of more hours before departing to Nairobi, we decided to grab some food.  I felt so tired owing to the sleep deprivation, which I think  was the main reason why I ordered pizza and salad for breakfast.  Because I thought it was time for supper o_o

***

Our flight to Nairobi was not comfortable (at least for me). The leg room was rather small that I experienced light cramps. I spent the 4 hour flight flipping one side to another, trying to sleep.

As the plane landed in Nairobi, I could not help to love the air. I switched the phone on and it immediately connected to the airport’s wi-fi facility. The clock automatically adjusted to East Africa Time (GMT+3). It was 3 pm, which was 5 hours behind Makassar (and 4 hours behind Jakarta). The Accuweather in my cell recorded the temperature as 21 degree Celcius. Oh the subtropical highland climate, you are definitely my kinda weather.

A month earlier, Jomo Kenyatta International Airport experienced massive fire. The blaze damaged some areas including immigration check point. As a result, the passport and visa processing are currently done under a big white tarpaulin tent. 
Grant and I obtained our VOA for 50 bucks. The immigration lady was very friendly. In fact it was the first time I had immigration officer smiled and greeted me. ‘Karibu Kenya’, she said. Welcome to Kenya. 





The immigration check point

We had a driver picking us up at the airport. Along the forty minutes trip to the hotel, I observed the landscape. It is mainly wide grassy plains combined with recent construction works spread over. Compare to the glamorous Jakarta, Nairobi is very simple. The concrete structures are modest with only a few skyscrapers around. 









We stayed in Jacaranda Hotel, a three-star accommodation in Westlands area.
The hotel is pleasant with gardens and lush growth of trees. I had my room overlooking the lawn. The air is breezy and fresh, that during my stay, I never sleep with air con on.

Jacaranda has a very strategic location that is adjacent to Sarit Centre. It is the first shopping mall in Nairobi which has turned into our resort for dinner and to get nearly everything.

***

In the next couple of days, my days were cramped with conference and meetings. The day would start with breakfast at the hotel, then going to office with the group, followed with lunch at the office, and closed with dinner at Sarit Centre or Westgate Mall. The cycle started over each daybreak.
My colleague Lia and I, hanging at the HQ's compound
The scientists
One time, I managed to have a short tour to Nairobi National Park. It was all set by the office’s travel agent. I was picked up early in the morning and driven to the spot. Tour in the national park can only be done by vehicle. Visitors are not allowed to go by foot, as that would endanger their safety.   

Inside, I saw wild life that is a rare find to my tropical eyes: giraffes, zebras, buffaloes, wildebeests, impalas, gazelles, elands, and lions. I know perhaps you’ll be able to find some of them at Taman Safari or Ragunan zoo, but seeing them in their native upbringing is such a glorious experience. 









'Where's the lion? Can you spot one?'




The other time, Grant and I went to Nairobi National Museum. We wanted to know more about the country’s history and culture.

Apparently the museum offers you broad knowledge ranging from the British occupancy era, the struggle towards independence, diversity, wildlife and contemporary art as well. Thanks to a panel in the museum, my curiosity on 'why there is huge influence of Indian cuisine in Nairobi' was satisfied. They say that it started in the 19th century when the British initiated a Mombasa-Lake Victoria railway construction. In the process, they were lack of manpower as the African refused to give their services. Consequently, the British had to import labors from Southern Asia (India). Cultural assimilation has occurred ever since. 










The Mombasa-Lake Victoria railway that made the British importing 38.000 labours from India, which 2400 of them lost their lives to the lions of Tsavo and diseases. EATEN by lions oh my god!




***


My trip to Nairobi might not be excited, as my time was mostly occupied with work-related meetings and gatherings. I only went to a few places, tried only a few bars, didn’t go on a culinary adventure nor souvenir hunting. Still, I enjoy it very much. I, again, silently pray for more business trips, so then I’ll be able to stroll down Kenyatta avenue and get startled by the capital's surprising beauty.


My highlights: the cold cold cold temperature (which is surprising to most of my friends in Indo. The usual comments would be ‘You’re layering with sweater there? You gotta be kidding!’ or ‘How can it be cold? It’s Africa!’); the varieties of antelopes I encountered in Nairobi National Park; Tusker (the local beer, which according to my amateur buds, is less bubbly and tastes much better than Bintang I could drink it everyday); the people who are fluent in English; the delicious coffee.

My not-so-highlights: the security issues (warning such as group travelling is recommended, use only taxis recommended by the hotel is commonly found in the guideline); the congested traffic jam (Jakarta excels, but still, nobody likes getting trapped in a jam, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment