January 20, 2014

Turning Thirty

I turned thirty today.

For me, thirty equals with more responsibilities. It also insinuates that I am a decade closer to retirement, which means it is time to evaluate not only my saving and investment plan, but also my life plan. But hmm, do I have one?

However, we live in the cruel world that is obsessed with youth and beauty. Women get tremendous pressure as they age. For the singleton and the-married-without-kids, we are constantly being reminded that when we hit thirty, the likelihood to get pregnant decreases evidently. You are not as fertile as you are in the 20s although you might be better in bed.
In the new age, the sign of gravity starts to appear unmistakably, particularly in your boobs. Look at those poor glands, they are sagging.

Your digestive system will also become slower, that you have to pay more attention to your diet. (Fiber! I need more fiber!)

In the morning when you look in the mirror you realize that there are lines around your eyes. A closer look will make you see the clogged, larger than ever pores. A first batch of grey hair that didn’t even exist last month suddenly appear.  
Gee where did they go? Where did my firm, flawless skin go? Where did the melanin in my dark, luscious hair go? Has time been feasting on them?

Oh boy, how we live in a world that persistently attacks our protection shield, and slowly peels our layer of insecurity towards aging. People constantly build the secret alleyway trying to escape aging, or busy creating some magic concoction to erase the trace of time, that they forget that wrinkles equal experience. That turning thirty means a wholesome you.

For me, I am grateful as I reach thirty today. Despite the fact that I may still need to find my true passion, I am thankful for the abundance of love that surrounds me. I enjoy every second of the ups and downs, the obscure realities, the mundane routine, the good, the bad and the karma. I will still consume red meat, caffeine, chocolate, sugar, cakes, potato chips, all gluten and fat rich stuff though I might trim down the portion. I will still go places in an easy compact manner (doesn’t necessarily mean backpacking) and drink and party, though I will bear in mind that my body might not be as fit as I was in my 20s. I say yes to all of those fine lines in my eyes and forehead, and those clogged pores too, as they will only build the characters in my face.

Olivia Wilde said, thirty is the cut the bullshit and go be awesome stage. I say it is the time to be more focus on yourself and just be happy.

To the big three-zero,


Cheers! 

4 comments:

  1. happy birthday enggaaar... nice post :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice post indeed! happy birthday enggar! i wish you even more beautiful things in your life to embrace!

    ReplyDelete