February 8, 2012

Papua New Guinea Anyone?

Since I first arrived in Jayapura, I’ve been wanting to visit the border of Papua New Guinea (PNG). The country somehow has always cast a mysterious charisma that allures me.

Not much people know about PNG, not much have been there too, so I promised my self that at least before I leave the island of  Papua, I must have set my feet upon PNG soil, eventhough only the border.

And last Sunday, I managed to go there. Thanks to my housemate, Pak Anton, who allowed his car to be brutally abused by the 9 of us.

The trip from our house to the border took about 1.5 hours, passing through Youtefa market, Keerom regency, Koya district, and Skouw.

On the way there, we stopped in Koya to buy some food at the street vendors.
Beside variety of fruits and vegetables, the vendors offer a lot of tempting snacks such as boiled peanuts, boiled corn on cob, banana chips, chilli-flavored chips, tape (fermented glutinous/sticky rice) and rice crackers.

Koya is a district in Jayapura regency. It is known as ‘trans’ village. Most of its residents are the first or second generation of transmigrants from Java who arrived in Papua in the 80s. They mostly work as farmers, growing crops, fruits and rice (which mostly cultivated on dry land).


After fullfilling our impulsive appetite with chips and peanuts, we decided to continue the trip. 

It took about half an hour from Koya to reach the border.
Before entering, we’re required to submit ID card at the military post. There, a young officer asked me to roll down the window. He asked about our purpose of crossing and reprimanded us not to take pictures using camera in PNG.

“What? But why?” I couldn’t help my self to protest.

“We don’t know why. It seems that they just don’t like it. You know, last week, a man got 1 million rupiah fine from the local PNGs for taking pictures with camera. He was shocked and cried, because he didn’t bring much. Now you don’t want that to happen do you? ”, he replied.

“Yeah sure.”

T_T hancurlah sudah harapanku untuk foto-foto dengan kamera. 

Truthfully speaking, there’s not much to see in the border. There are only market and an old lighthouse. 


But the fact that it’s the land of PNG has attracted hundreds of visitors every weekend. And having the souvenir and Kina banknote just doubled up the charm. 

Full house!
Street vendor in Koya.
Such a long endless road from Koya to the border.
The military post where you submit the ID.
On the RI side of the border, so digital camera is still permitted.











This was taken at the back yard of a local resident, who asked us to pay Rp 10.000/person for entering his lawn. Blah!


The pretty beach of PNG.
Language!
At the food stall that sells grilled lambs and sausages
The lady who sells grilled lambs. She's very nice and got an awesome tattoo on her calf. She also allowed me to take pictures with camera :)

At the souvenir seller.


Look what I got! Can't wait to put it on my bedroom's wall
On the PNG side of the border.
Gudbai.



On our way back from the border, we stopped at Holtekamp beach to have some lunch (and to take some pictures).
I don't really like the place because it's dirty. 
Shame on you litterbug!




Calves eating the leftover.
My housemate Surya got a pretty bad sunburn.

And made a final stop at Skyline to drink coconut and pamper the eyes with the view of Youtefa bay.


People drink coconut while enjoying the view.

Hello moon.
It was a great day and I had so much fun :)

PS: Thankfully my housemate has this sophisticated phone equipped with 8MP camera, so problem is solved. We took most of the pictures in PNG using his phone. God bless technology.

PPS: No visa is required for Indonesian cross-border visitor, unless you’re travelling to the city. The visa itself can be obtained at the PNG consulate in Jayapura. 

2 comments: