February 7, 2012

Ahoy Dewaruci!


Two weeks ago, a friend told me that the famous Dewaruci ship has docked in Jayapura port. 


Dewaruci –named ofter the god of truth and courage in Indonesian mythology- was built in 1952 in Hamburg,Germany by HC Stulcken & Sohn Dockyard. It was first brought to Indonesia on January 24, 1953, and has become a training ship for young Indonesian naval cadets ever since.
Dewaruci has left its basecamp in Surabaya on January 18, 2012 to sail on its annual around-the-world mission. It stops at several ports, where in Jayapura, it was opened for public for 3 days.


Trying not to miss the chance, I went to see the vessel with my housemates. We went there on a sunny Saturday morning where we were completely blown off to see the size of the ship, which appeared not to be as big as we have imagined! Seriously man, we thought Dewaruci is a one giant ship that has a lot of rooms and a helipad, or at least as big as Gunung Dempo that serves Jayapura-Makassar route. But turned out it’s a mid-sized ship! Auww! Penonton tertampar oleh realita.

Ok enough about the size. 
While I’m on board, I asked one young cadet, where they will go after Jayapura. He answered that the next stops would be Kwajelein and Honolulu (both in Hawaii). He also said that the expedition will last about 9-10 months, and they’re expected to be back to Surabaya on October 2012. Oh gowd, enaknyo. 

I couldn’t plaster my jealousy. I envy you so much, young cadet. 


Anywho, according to Wikipedia, Dewaruci will be pensioned and displayed at the museum due to old age. Later it will be replaced by the new Dewaruci by 2014, making this 2012 journey as one of the last voyages the old lady would have.

It was one hot burning Saturday, that I couldn’t take it anymore (especially after fell flat, thigh first on the slippery mossy port, in front of tens of cadets), so we left the dock and headed for some thirst quenchers.


Minutes after, while I was slurping my ice tea at the drink stall, I heard the Dewaruci honked the horn several times, making its goodbye to Jayapura. I was thrilled, and suddenly my heart overflowed with nationalism, that I have nothing else to say but good luck, and do make us proud.









 


It was when I took this pic, I fell flat on my thigh. Several cadets ran to me trying to help me standing. Gosh, I wish I could just disappear
Papua Baru docked next to Dewaruci. This ship serves the coastal area of Papua

3 comments:

  1. I thought this ship was only a myth. but it sure does very handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shes a true beauty...remember what i told u bout having my own ship and cruised around the world? this is exactly what i want :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so lucky, I heard its Dewaruchi last sail and it'll go straight to museum

    ReplyDelete