March 3, 2016

Loving Brisbane

Hello from Brisbane!

It’s March already and it means that I’ve been in Brisbane for a month and a half! 

How do I like it so far you may ask, and I have to say that I REALLY enjoy Brisbane, and that fondness happens for reasons!

1. The weather.
You know weather wise, Brisbane is the almost the same as Jakarta. It’s hot, so I’m pretty much used to it. Yet, what makes different is that the UV index here is much higher. I don’t know if it’s only me, but I feel like the sun stings, therefore sunscreen is definitely a must. Skin cancer is a big thing in here, so the government do lots of campaigns to advocate people. Every day before I go outside, I check not only the weather forecast but also the UV index,  to know at what specific hour it will be the highest, so during that time I’ll just stay inside the building.
Despite the hot temperature, back in Jakarta, I’ve always been allergic to the hot sunny weather. I mean, I’ve got itchy redness on my skin when I’m exposed to the sun, but that doesn’t really happen in Brisbane. My hypothesis is maybe what I’m actually allergic of isn’t the sun ray, but the dust or the debris contained in the air. So because the air in here is clean, I’m all good even though it’s thirty four scorching degree.


2. Proper public facilities.
I found it very fascinating. The sidewalk is proper so it makes me feel safe while at the same time sort of encourages me to walk. Back home, I sometimes feel hesitate to walk, because the sidewalk was patchy, or even there was no sidewalk at all! 

Aside from that, the local government ensure that there are lots of designated greenery and parks. You know, so people can just chill the f out, or have barbie, or picnic. Some parks are equipped with barbecue grill facilities, so you just bring food; sausages, ham, whatever, invite your friends and have a barbecue together. Some family-friendly facilities are provided too, for example in South Bank for where there are kids playground, swimming pool, man-made beach, that are all free. Super cool. 

3. The student concession
Thankfully Brisbane is one of the places in Australia that provides transportation concession for students, which is like 30% cheaper from the normal price. That’s definitely something for students who are always looking ways to save money! In addition to that, there are plenty of student special price too such as at the cinema, restaurants, and gym.

4. The transportation system
 It's all interconnected and integrated so going places is easy! Here if you've traveled 9 times during a week, then the 10th trip will be free for the rest of that week. For example, I've traveled 9 times starting Monday to Wednesday, then my 10th trip will be free, and it's valid until Sunday. On Monday, the cycle starts again. This is very useful if specially if you want to go to a farther place during the weekend like Gold Coast. 

On top of that, there’s an app which basically tells you which transportation to take including the schedule. 

I realize Brisbane may not have tram like Melbourne, but it has ferry! Yes, there’s this CityCat that runs along the Brisbane River. It’s actually one of my favorite transportation mode, and what I really like to do, specially when I ride in the afternoon is to sit outside, so I can enjoy the view and let the wind brushes through my hair. 

5. Free entertainment 
Well, students are always up for freebies, and in Brisbane, there are lots of free ways to enjoy the city, such as Brisbane’s city hall & museum, the state’s museum,  gallery of modern art, parks such as Roma, New Farm, and South Bank. Also, the city council often runs free events sport exercise, festival, bazaar, city tour, so you can always find something free!

Long-legged ladies at BrisAsia festival last month
City Welcome Festival is held to welcome international students to Brisbane
6. The veggies and fruits! 
I’m a big fan of fruit and veggies, and generally speaking, in Australia, they’re SO FRESH! Moreover, I get the chance to taste fruits I’ve never had in Indonesia like blueberries and nectarines!
In the supermarket, washed and pre-packed salad veggies are always available, which again, make it easier to make salad at home. And if you want to get the locally-sourced fresh product, you can go to the farmers’ markets. 

7. The people 
Although I’ve heard lots of people says that Indonesian are nice, but at some point I started to think that Australian [in most cases] are nicer. I mean here, people greets each other, say how are you & thanks, do small talks, and smile, even to stranger. To me this practice is a bit uncommon in Indonesia, because back there, if you’re being nice like that, people would think that there’s something sneaky going on.  >.<

So there you go, a few reasons why I love Brisbane.

The semester just begins last Monday, and I may have not much time to roam around Brisbane, but I made a [plausible] commitment to myself, that I'll visit at least one new place every month. Well, study hard, but play hard as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment