November 16, 2011

Bakar Batu (Video)

I was so grateful being able to witness the ceremony of Bakar Batu (Stone Burnt Party) when I was in Mulia.

As I told you on the previous post, the week I visited Mulia was the week of Yamo District’s GIDI Klasis meeting. The 4 days meeting went thoroughly, and to express gratitude, a Bakar Batu ceremony was set on the closing day (Oct 21).

It was a big scale Bakar Batu, and was attended by thousands of people from different villages. 
People have come to Mulia the previous day bringing crops. They stay at their relative’s honai to participate in the Bakar Batu.

Bakar Batu itself consisted of three stages, which are: preparation, cooking, and eat together. The preps and burns were held early in the morning till around 12-ish.
To announce the opening, usually the ethnic leader will bow one of the pig. Some people believe that if the pig died instantly at once bow, the Bakar Batu will run smoothly, and if not, something bad is going to happen.
Since it was a big Bakar Batu, the cooking was performed in three separated spots. The food then was brought to the feast location, which was at the church yard.



Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to see the preparation and cooking process because I had meetings to attend.

Around 1pm, while I was in a district hall, I heard some noise coming from the street. I thought there was somekind of fight, or tribe war, because it sounded wild and 'barbaric'. 



Being curious, I went outside and saw a group of villagers (mostly women) howling in traditional Lani language. I asked a man next to me, and he said not to worry because it wasn't anything barbaric. It was in fact, a group of villagers, howling, to let people know that they were carrying the freshly cooked food to Bakar Batu location.

I finished all my works in the afternoon, and went straight to the venue.

There, was amazed to see how packed the church yard was. 
 Thousands of people were sitting, chopping meat, and chewing grilled pork.
It was EPIC! 






No comments:

Post a Comment