September 27, 2011

Jayapura to Major Tom: Do You Copy That?

Hello. I was so glued to work I had no times to blog.

Well that’s probably a bit exaggerating, but really, I have so much things to prepare  for this National AIDS conference in Jogja –which I don't attend but got a whole bunch of works to focus on–.

Things have been kind of quiet. I spend my afternoons and weekends drinking coffee and reading books, I only go out to buy food. Here’s the thing: I’ve got piles of untouched books, that were brought from Jakarta all the way to Jayapura, because I thought I would have more spare times here.
Then  a month passed and still, they were  left untouched. One day my conscience decided to break in and speak the truth: read them or pack them back to Jakarta. I have no choice.

Couple of weeks ago, a small Susi Air plane crashed in the highlands of Papua (at Yakuhimo regency) and killed the pilot and co-pilot. People blamed it on the bad weather. The company’s owner, Ibu Susi  was shattered because this has never happened before. Susi Air has always good record, and they pay attention to safety. But god knows what happened up there. The accident has even made her reconsidered the business in Papua. She said that probably Susi Air will operate no more in Papua.

I felt disappointed. 

If Susi Air is out, it means that some regions will not be able to be reached anymore. People will have lesser choice to fly to remote areas. Some villages might face difficulty in getting fuel  supply and selling their crops (FYI Susi Air is a major actor in fuel distribution to remote areas). Rumors spread, but the decision remains unclear until now. I  just hope that her statement was something that came out as a result of great sadness.

Then last Wednesday, another plane crashed in the highlands (at Yalimo regency). This time it was Yajasi, the trusted company that used to fly us to Mulia. Again, it was reaveled that the weather caused it. Experienced pilot once said that the weather in the highlands are unpredictable, sometimes it’s shining so bright when you take off, but couple minutes later when you’re above the sky,  suddenly dark clouds appear and block all view. That’s scary.  

The poor plane was Pilatus PK UCE. At first I thought it was the same plane that carried me couple of months ago.Turned out it was a different plane, a smaller one.

My boss told me that the pilot was the  one who flew him last Monday from Mulia to Jayapura.  He said the weather was horrible when he was up there. It changed within minutes, and the pilot (Paul) had to do lots of maneuvers to avoid  dark clouds.  
Paul did well last Monday. But he wasn’t lucky enough that Wednesday.

The accidents have eaten out my guts. I’m worried because I still have two more trips to Mulia, and will definitely use small planes. In fact, all of my colleagues are worried.

Now the pretty highlands have become our biggest fear. 

2 comments:

  1. "tell my wife I love her very much.." oh my...I got a goosebump as reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riding a small plane, really gave me a spiritual experience. I remember in my prayer before taking off, I said 'O dear God, I know I'm a sinner, but if this is my last day on earth and if it's time for me to go, please make it less-painful'. I said the words n I dropped tears. Seriously, the whole 40minutes up there was terrifying.

    ReplyDelete